Thursday, August 9, 2012

Technology Overload!

Me, after being electrocuted...
The other day I was up on the in-law's house fixing their air conditioner...swamp cooler rather.  It was about 7:30pm so the sun was getting pretty low in the sky already.  I was just getting started when Amanda runs out into the back yard and yells "Steven!  The power just went off to the whole house!  What did you do!?!?!"  I am grateful for her confidence in me that I could make something like that happen with no tools and only looking at the AC unit.  Her biggest concern was for me and wanted to make sure I didn't fry myself, which I too am grateful for! 



Not Me :(


So after extensive testing and deductive reasoning, it turns out I don't have mind control over electricity, although that would be cool.  The power went out in the entire neighborhood.  We could see into the neighbor's house and their TV had gone off, fans were slowing down, and no lights on anywhere as far as the eye could see...which was far because it's a two-story house. 









Then the really cool part happened:  People came outside and started talking to their neighbors!  I know this is hard for some to comprehend but it's true!  Half the neighborhood was outside, talking, laughing and joking.  Kids were riding their bikes in the street, people were walking their dogs.  Some kids up the street started a game of basketball in their driveway.  It was so cool!  It reminded me of The Sandlot. 




So it got me to thinking: What if we were to shut off our own electricity for 3 hours every evening.  No cell phones, no TV, no iPads/Pods/Phones, no internet, no computers, nothing electronic.  I admit it would be hard at first-I'm constantly checking my phone and texting or e-mailing or surfing the web-but I think it would be so cool!  To get to know your neighbors and actually KNOW them would be very cool!  To see your kids outside (gasp) riding a bike, or chasing the girls with a worm, playing hide-and-go-seek, sitting on the lawn looking up at the trees, learning to play guitar or piano instead of video games, just enjoying the beauty and simplicity that has been forgotten. 

I challenge YOU to look at your life and ask; "Am I addicted to technology?  Does it replace more important things in life?  Do I spend more time on the computer or watching TV than I do with my kids or spouse?  Do I have a better relationship with Facebook, Blogger or Pintrest than I do with my family?"  I think we would all be surprised at how much time we really dedicate to technology. 

Just something to think about...

1 comment:

  1. woah,man.... this just hit home. Guess I'll be signing off now.. LOL

    ReplyDelete