Monday, August 6, 2012

Tolerance vs. Intolerance

I've wanted to weigh in on this subject for some time now but as I previously stated, I haven't felt like I should post it on Facebook.  Before I get going, I want to emphasize that I believe everybody has the right to believe what they will and practice what they believe.  In fact, I encourage it. 

OWN your beliefs, OWN your actions, and OWN who you choose to be. 

With that said, I would like to talk about the Chick-Fil-A mess this past week. 

Here's The Scoop: Chick-Fil-A, founded in 1946 by S. Truett Cathy, was built and based on strong Christian values from the beginning.  The current president and Chief Operating Officer Dan Cathy (S. Truett's son) gave an interview to the Baptist Press in July of this year.  Click here to see the actual interview.  While being interviewed, he stated that he and his father's company is in support of the family unit as defined in biblical terms and that marriage should be between a man and a woman.  He also commented that sinful actions are inviting the judgement of God on this country.  Some news reports have stated that Chick-Fil-A has donated millions of dollars over the years to organizations fighting for these same beliefs.  I assume that is correct but have not been able to independently verify the circumstances of said donations.

Here's The Problem: After the interview with the Baptist Press, media outlets picked up the story and spread the news as quickly as possible.  Of course, Gay Activist groups picked up the story and have used it to make a point.  Conservative groups have picked up the activity of the Gay Activist groups and have used it to make a point.  I know this is going to come as a shock to some of you but, generally speaking, Conservative Groups and Gay Activist Groups don't see eye-to-eye.  Shocker, I know. 

Things Are Heating Up:  After liberal government officials around the country announced their intent to torpedo Chick-Fil-A, I got very interested on the issue.  Officials in Chicago are trying to deny Chick-Fil-A building permits based on these comments and actions.  Alderman (a fancy word for a council member) Joe Moreno from Chicago's 1st Ward stated the following "Because of this man's ignorance, I will now be denying Chick-fil-A's permit to open a restaurant in the 1st Ward."  Boston mayor Thomas Menino sent a letter to Dan Cathy directly stating he strongly encouraged Chick-Fil-A to reconsider locating in Boston.  Click here to view a copy of the letter that was sent.  And of course, Conservatives had to weigh in as well.  Mike Huckabee, former Arkansas governor, called for a "Chick-Fil-A-Day", encouraging anybody supporting Chick-Fil-A to eat there on Thursday, August 2nd.  LGBT Support Organizations encouraged people opposing Chick-Fil-A's comments to attend a "Kiss-In" two days later.  They encouraged people opposing the comments made to go to the closest Chick-Fil-A with signs and encouraged same-sex couples to kiss in front of Chick-Fil-A.

My Weigh-In:   It is interesting to me that LGBT Support Organizations preach tolerance when they are so very intolerant of opposing opinions.  Is it my or Dan Cathy's job to judge people for what they do?  Absolutely not!  Thankfully I don't have to fill those shoes, nor do I want to!  Is it to be expected that comments made by a President or other high-ranking official in a business or organization will be under scrutiny?  Absolutely!  It's all PR people, Public Relations.  Does Dan Cathy have the right to say what he said and believe what he believes?  Absolutely!  I don't really care if you agree with what he said, what I care about is if you agree he has the right to say what he said without the fear of retaliation.  Isn't that what freedom of speech is about?  If you agree with him, eat his food.  If you don't, don't eat his food.  So why is it ok for LGBT activist groups to rally and show their support for their cause but Heterosexual groups are all of a sudden "Hate-Groups" if they were to try to march for their cause.  Doesn't each group have the right to their own opinion? 

Another issue: The Kiss-In.  I'm married to the woman of my dreams and love kissing her.  If anybody asked me to go make out in front of a business to make a point, I'd tell them to go pound sand.  It just doesn't seem right that somebody should and would encourage something like that. 

A Houston Chick-Fil-A on "Chick-Fil-A Day".
Here's one more, and I think the last, point I'd like to make.  On Huckabee's "Chick-Fil-A-Day", records were set for highest sales by the company.  Law Enforcement was called out to almost every location to help with the overwhelming support and added traffic, but not one case of property damage or violence.  People got to eat tasty chicken sandwiches and got to support what they felt to be right. 



On the LGBT Support day, buildings got vandalized, workers were harassed, public grounds were trampled and left with mountains of trash after everybody cleared out, and the silver lining, people got to support what they felt to be right.  Oh yeah...and Chick-Fil-A still sold tasty chicken sandwiches all day, offering free food and water to those who were there to oppose them.  So I ask again, how is vandalizing a business NOT hateful?  Click here for a link to a video of a a customer harassing a worker.

It's just interesting to ponder...



I don't want this to turn into a debate on Gay Rights, it's not.  It's about people preaching and demanding tolerance when none is given in return.  I don't get it, I really just don't get it...



No comments:

Post a Comment